Chapters Medium Size Boards 510 – 1,999 members.
This is the third time I have attended this meeting and the second time I have been asked to moderate. The first time moderating, I was requested to lead Alternate Revenue Sources. I found these size of boards were most likely to be considering mergers based on attendance at the other merger tables. The following are concepts and comments brought up by 30 association presidents from around the nation:
• Board of Choice is the genesis of merger issues
• More agents are selling homes 50-100 miles away from their home office.
• Date Sharing is important
• Existing contracts with MLS’s delay mergers
• Better Data, more data, Being Fresh and Next Gen and Leadership Regionalized MLS’s, increased opportunities, combine resources are reasons to merge
• Some associations work with each other to do community bus tours
• Some feel RPR creates pressure to be a national MLS
• It is important to honor others feelings
• Some don’t want to merge because of sentimentality or timing is not good
• Merge happens when the pain factor is high
• It is important to know what a merge looks like
• Know your numbers, remove threats, gather consensus understand geography and regionalization prior to considering a merge
• Know the gain or loss of state and national votes
• Strategize to utilize shared staff
• Maine has a state-wide MLS
• Know the fear-base and see where measurable differences may lie.
Although a bit randomized, I encouraged people to put things on the table and allowed them to talk about them. Some were pre, active and post merge and there were no comments regarding regrets.