About Us‎ > ‎

History East County REALTORS®

The East San Diego County Association of REALTORS® began as the La Mesa Board of REALTORS® (LMBR) in 1950, with J.J. Burke as its first president. By establishing the LMBR, Burke and his board members took an important first step toward creating a long-standing, deeply rooted community of real estate professionals in the East County.

The postwar population boom had created new demands for housing, and with Highway 80 as the primary east-west artery of San Diego, the East County offered appealing, spacious, and economical alternatives to the urban crush of the metro area. As the eastward migration increased, and the transformation of Highway 80 into the multiple lanes of Interstate 8 began, bedroom communities of ranch-style homes and affordable housing developments sprouted up along this traffic corridor east of 70th Street. El Cajon and La Mesa quickly emerged as the dominant cities of a burgeoning East County.

On May 26, 1959, the El Cajon Valley Board of REALTORS® was chartered by the National Association of Real Estate Boards. President J Mudall, Vice President John Cotton, and Secretary Eugene P. Cousen executed the charter, creating a professional network of hard-working, ethical, and responsible men and women dedicated to assisting homeowners in El Cajon and its growing suburbs.

By the mid 1970s, with the smaller outlying communities of Lakeside, Lemon Grove, and Santee growing in size, East County REALTORS® realized there were significant advantages to be gained by consolidating their resources, combining efforts, and creating a united front. In 1975, the La Mesa Board of REALTORS® and the El Cajon Valley Board of REALTORS® merged, incorporating as the East San Diego County Board of REALTORS®.

The fusion of the two boards resulted in an inaugural year with 30 directors on the board, with four recognized as "first directors" in the Articles of Incorporation: George Paul, Jim Mitchell, Donald Smith, and David Bird. The Articles of Incorporation were witnessed and executed by first directors George Paul, Jim Mitchell, and Donald Smith on October 29, 1975.

In 1996, President Laura F. Houle and Secretary Jerry Scantlin, on behalf of the association's 752 members, amended the Articles of Incorporation to reflect the name change from the East San Diego County Board of REALTORS® to the East San Diego County Association of REALTORS®. The amendment was certified by Houle and Scantlin on September 4, 1996 and officially recognized by the State of California on September 27, 1996.

The East County REALTOR® service center is known for it's friendly and attentive service. Members partner with the Association to be more productive. Association staff is helpful and can provide resources in dealing with many aspects of real estate. The association provides support with Government Affairs issues, lock box support, access and training on resources available through NAR and CAR and much much more.

Noteable: Becki Schwab, the first female president of CAR, was a member of the La Mesa Board of REALTORS®.